At Art Motif Magazine, we believe in strengthening our communities by supporting the educational aspirations of high school students as they embark in postsecondary education. Although our goal is to increase the number and dollar amount of scholarships offered in the coming years, during this first annual Art Motif Scholarship Program, we will offer two $500 scholarships, one to each of two high school seniors, in hopes of increasing their opportunities for success as they strive to achieve their dreams. Below, please find the scholarship application requirements.
Who is eligible for an Art Motif Scholarship? Applicants must be graduating from Nogales High School (Nogales, AZ) in May 2019 and must enroll for full-time study at an accredited public institution during the 2019-2020 academic year. Both two-year and four-year institutions are eligible. Although applicants are not required to pursue a career in the arts, we do require that applicants have some involvement and experience in an art form (e.g. creative or journalistic writing, drawing, painting, photography, drama, band, etc.). Please see the personal essay requirement in the “What do I need to submit?” section below for more information.
What does the scholarship award? The scholarship awards each of two recipients a one-time $500 scholarship. The scholarship may not be renewed.
When does the application cycle begin? Applications will be accepted for review beginning January 1, 2019.
What is the application deadline? Complete applications must be submitted via email no later than March 31, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Who reviews applications and selects recipients? Review and selection of recipients is made by a committee made up of community members including artists from different domains and genres.
What can the scholarship be used for? The scholarship is intended to supplement other financial aid and may be used for tuition, fees, books, supplies, and/or classroom equipment.
What is the selection criteria? The primary criteria for selection is potential for success which will be evaluated by a personal essay as well as a sample of the applicant’s artwork (e.g. a written composition, a painting, a performance video, etc.). Please see the essay prompt and the artwork submission requirements in the “What do I need to submit?” section below.
When will I receive notification on whether I’ve been awarded a scholarship? Scholarship recipients will be announced during the 2019 Nogales High School Senior Convocation.
How and when are checks issued? Checks will be issued by July 1, 2019 and mailed via USPS directly to the recipient at the address specified in the scholarship application form.
What do I need to submit? The scholarship application package must include submission of the following three things:
- Completed Art Motif Scholarship Application Form: Click here to view and print a copy of the form for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Personal essay: In no more than 1000 words, describe what kind of impact art has had in your life and how you feel your own art practice has helped strengthen, enlighten or make your life better in some way. Include examples of how being artistically creative has helped you develop skills that can be applied in other areas of your life (e.g. school, work, with friends or family). Describe how you envision art forming part of your life in the future.
- Sample of your artwork: Include 1-3 samples of your artwork (e.g. a written composition; a visual image of a painting, drawing or photograph; a video of a musical or theatrical performance, etc.). Try to select something that is most representative of your work.
How do I submit my scholarship application package? We will only accept scholarship application packages sent via email to email@example.com. Use the subject line “2019 Art Motif Scholarship Submission” and include the following attachments:
- PDF of the completed Art Motif Scholarship Application Form for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- PDF or Word file of the personal essay
- PDF or Word files of written composition samples. JPEG files of visual image samples. We will accept web links to musical or theatrical performances that already exist online or, alternatively, you may send sound and/or video files using the free service available at WeTransfer.com.